Friday, September 30, 2016

Temptation


Today’s Verse: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. James 1:14 (KJV)

Thought for the Day: Concentrate on heavenly things and the beauty God has created, instead of worldly things.

 Temptation  

We don't have to search very far to find temptation. We can see it on television commercials, the front page of popular magazines, in department store windows and the list goes on and on. The things assaulting our senses are designed to lure us from God’s goodness, and convince us to believe in Satan's lies. We are tempted by numerous things in our everyday life, and it is hard to rise above it. Overcoming the lure of the world is never easy; therefore, we need a concrete plan for resisting it.  We can start by recognizing the lies propagated by Satan who is more than willing to show us the easy way to the world’s view of success and happiness. Before I can become too overwhelmed by my selfish desires, I look for a quiet place to seek God's presence and pray for strength to overcome the lies. I keep some of my favorite bible verses close to my heart for emergencies.  Eve being tempted by Satan in the garden, is a good reminder that allowing ourselves to stray from God’s will, into our own, has serious consequences.

I find it easier when I am focusing on heavenly things rather than worldly pleasures. 1 Peter 5:8 tells us to be alert and sober because Satan prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Having good control over thoughts and yearnings of the flesh weakens Satan’s influence. Temptation becomes strongest when we allow our focus to stray from the Father, beware, because temptation comes wrapped in beautiful, alluring packages, but yielding brings disaster.

—Nells Wasilewski



6 comments:

  1. Well said, and timely advice, Nells!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Martha Jane, for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Nellie. May God give us the discernment we need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good reminder to not give into temptation. Glad I stopped by your website. Thanks for keeping in touch with me on Facebook and my website. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Fran, I am so glad you stopped by too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete